CLASSIC SWISS FONDUE serves 4
6 cups grated cheeses (blend at least 2-3 varieties, any cheese will do)
2 cups white wine
3 tbsp flour
2 cloves garlic
salt, pepper or nutmeg to taste
splash kirsch (or other fruity liqueur)
Grate cheeses and toss with flour. Bring to room temperature.
Rub inside of fondue pot with sliced garlic cloves and add wine, heating until gently simmering.
Add cheese a handful at a time, stirring in figure-eight pattern until evenly melted.
Top with a splash of liqueur & start dipping away!
DECIDING ON DIPPERS...
- crusty bread is classic (baguette, walnut, whole grain)
- meats are magnificent (ham, frankfurters, sausage, chicken)
- vegetables add variety (mushrooms, tomatoes, asparagus, artichokes, potatoes)
- fruits are fabulous (apples, pears, grapes)
- let your imagination run wild (olives, nuts, hearts of palm, cornichons, caperberries)
HELPFUL CHEESE FONDUE HINTS AND TRADITION...
- if too thin, add more cheese / if too thick, add more wine
- make the base, then change the theme (blue cheese & scallions or chipotle & green chiles)
- if a lady drops a dipper in the fondue, she has to kiss all the men
- if a man drops a dipper in the fondue, he has to buy a bottle of wine
- whoever drops a dipper for the second time must host the next fondue party!